Qualifications of Supervising Teacher
Credentials: Supervising teachers must hold a Montessori credential from a MACTE accredited teacher education program or its equivalent.
Teaching Experience: The supervising teacher must be at least in the third year of teaching after receipt of the credential.
Attendance: The supervising teacher must be in the intern’s classroom full time.
Student Experience: The supervising teacher is responsible for providing opportunities for the intern to develop experience in the following areas:
● Preparation of indoor and outdoor environment
● Observation, record keeping, assessing student progress, and planning for individual student progress, and planning group activities
● Preparation and presentation of lessons to individuals and groups
● Material making
● Developing communication skills with students, parents, and staff members
● Participation in Parent/Community activities such as parent education programs, parent–teacher conferences, interviews, open houses
● Classroom management – individual and group strategies
● Staff and School involvement – participation in staff meetings, problem
solving, and school–wide events
Meetings: The supervising teacher must schedule regular review sessions with the
student teacher, at least once monthly, to assess progress in the above areas.
Assessment and Communication: The supervising teacher must complete all evaluation requested by the teacher education center at the designated times. The supervising teacher also agrees to inform the teacher education center in the event of any difficulties or concerns regarding the professional performance of the intern.
MTCS and IMC strongly believe in the importance of the supervised internship as the best model for preparing teachers. With this in mind, self-directed internships will only be allowed under rare circumstances, and only when the following guidelines can be met: